Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the devil wears prada... chanel, diane von furstenburg or any other ridiculously overpriced expensive sounding brand you see famous women wearing

I just finished a very shortlived stint as a shopgirlat a high-end women's fashion boutique.... from hell. I applied as a part-time employee thinking it would be simple, fun, make me enough money, and get pretty clothes as perks of the job. I had NO idea it would be as intense, insane and impossible as it was. I'm talking hard-core manual labor for 12 to 13 hour shifts days in a row for an hourly rate that I don't even want to talk about right now. Forty to fifty pound boxes up and down flights of stairs. Building shelves. Taking out loads of garbage. All to sell thousand dollar dresses, made in China, in the middle of an economic crisis, because Angelina Jolie and the immensely popular GossipGirl (which I still haven't seen) Leighton Meister, for example, are seen in her clothes.In fact, the whole store is built around that message. There are photos of famous people, with the designer, hanging up everywhere screaming BUY THIS DIAMOND ENCRUSTED FEATHERED BOLERO. Or, YOU NEED THIS SUNFLOWER LEATHER CUTOUT TIE UP JACKET. I mean, I know there's other shit going on in the world right now, but I just wanted to take a break from politics and rant a little about the ridiculousness of our celebrity-driven, homogenous, consumption culture. I like a pretty dress as much as the next girl, but I sure as hell am not gonna make a deal with the devil for it.

No comments: