Friday, October 31, 2008

Palin: Media Criticism Threatens First Amendment

There are many, many things in this world that I do not understand. Physics - no fuckin clue. Women - I've tried, and continue to try, but really, I have no idea. Dip N Dots - how the fuck do they make those tiny balls of ice cream so delicious?

However, and this question has been nagging at me for some time now as it's something I simply cannot wrap my head around: How is it possible, that in the greatest country on the planet, one of the four people campaigning for the highest offices in the land does not have a BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF THIS NATION'S CONSTITUTION?

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. In an interview in Washington DC on Friday morning, Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin said this:

Palin: "If [the media] convince enough voters that that is negative campaigning, for me to call Barack Obama out on his associations, then I don't know what the future of our country would be in terms of First Amendment rights and our ability to ask questions without fear of attacks by the mainstream media."


In case you didn't rip your keyboard off your desk out of sheer rage and try to decapitate whoever happened to be sitting next to you, here is the actual First Amendment, word for word:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


I thought Ms. Palin having NO IDEA as to the role of the vice president was low, but this latest bit is an entirely new level of stupid. In one grammar mangling sentence, she has proposed that one aspect of the First Amendment is actually infringing on another. She's actually saying that she has a constitutionally protected right to spew her batshit moronic drivel, but that the press should have NO RIGHT WHAT SO EVER to call her on said absurdly stupid verbal vomit.

As I said above, there are many, many things in this world I do not understand. And right now, the one that I am grappling with, is how on earth someone who has consistently shown a penchant for lying and abusing her power, demonstrates a profound disregard for the basic rules of grammar, is apparently completely unable to answer simple and straight forward questions (EXAMPLE: Q: "Which newspapers do you read?" - A: "All of 'em."), an who has NO IDEA what she would be doing in the job she seeks to hold, can seriously be considered by ANYONE as a candidate for the second highest office in the land.

Also, I am baffled by sudoku.

No comments: